I was helping a coworker plan an event today and I was thinkin about games we used to play as kids. Pin the tail on the donkey and pinatas came to mind. So I did me some research. Guess what? Pinatas originated from the Chinese! Ain't that the biggest crock you ever heard? But I shit you not.
Courtesy of Wikipedia:
The piñata is a bright candy-and-toy-filled container (generally suspended on a rope from a tree branch or ceiling) that is used during celebrations. A succession of blindfolded, stick-wielding children try to break the piñata in order to collect the candy inside of it. It has been used for hundreds of years to celebrate special occasions such as birthdays and Christmas.
Spanish colonists are thought to have started the piñata tradition in Mexico; then the tradition went on to the Italians. However, Gavin Menzies argues that the piñata was brought to Mexico by Chinese sailors about 1421. According to legend, Marco Polo introduced the piñata to the Italians after discovering it in the Orient.
How's that for trivia, Mr. Joshua Chi-Sing Chan~ ^_^
No comments:
Post a Comment