ty phoon: A tropical cyclone occurring in the western Pacific or Indian oceans.
A typhoon swept through Taiwan yesterday/today. It wasn't my first encounter with one, but nevertheless it was a bit scary at times. Once the news gave out warnings, people flocked to grocery stores and stocked up on rice, instant noodles and other necessasities. Businesses piled sand bags in front of their stores to prevent flooding and most windows were taped with the letter [x] to prevent them from shattering from the massive winds.
The winds and rain were the most relentless at 4am. The constant howling of the wind was a sure sign I would not get a good nite's sleep. One comedic moment came around 3am when I noticed the air con was leaking water. I instantly grabbed a pad and taped it against the air con to prevent future leaks. I felt like McGyver, but it didn't work entirely b/c I had to change the pad a couple of hours later. ^__^
When the sun rose and winds died down, I took the bus to my friends' apt to use the internet. Enroute, I noticed scooters tipped over from the wind, trees uprooted and the eerieness of the lack of people not roaming the streets.
As I continued to watch the news (I heard that the typhoon had not passed!) a report came on that I thought was smart as hell! A GUCCI store was robbed at 5am and an estimated 2 million NT worth of bags/merchandise was stolen. The store security tapes stopped recording at 3am and with the added typhoon, it was literally the perfect moment to rob a store! Of course I don't encourage stealing, but it was the perfect crime at the perfect time! Kudo's to them~
------------------------------
Hey Astri, lookin forward to the day of movies, mah jong and kareoke!
1 comment:
Nancy, I'm glad you and most of Taiwan is okay. It doesn't sound like many people got hurt..a couple swept out to sea? That's scarry. What brand of pad did you use to stop the a/c leak? and to what is your "fool me once" entry refering? It's freagin hilarious! Glad to know you're okay. Peace!
Post a Comment